OWC ThunderBay 4 RAID 5 Edition
4-bay Professional-Grade Enclosure
Dual Thunderbolt 2 | RAID 5 | 4 Drive Bays | Mac
Performance + Redundancy
- Fits both 2.5" and 3.5" drives
- User configurable in RAID 0, 1, 4, 5 & 1+0
- Up to 650MB/s read / 446MB/s write RAID 5 performance 1
- Exponentially faster rebuild times than hardware RAID
Experience the first and only software RAID 5 technology developed for the Mac with the SoftRAID XT. Empower your workflow with up to 35% faster RAID 5 performance and exponentially faster rebuild times than comparable hardware based RAID arrays. Activate advanced features, such as drive monitoring, e-mail notifications, and more when you install the included SoftRAID XT for macOS.
Conventional wisdom turned on its head.
Hardware RAID has long been thought to be superior to software RAID, but we've now combined the massive performance and capacity of ThunderBay 4 with a robust, proven software RAID engine to provide breathtaking performance, flexibility, and reliability.
Software RAID + ThunderBay = WHOA!
Over a year ago, OWC partnered with SoftRAID to bring enhanced storage capabilities to the Mac, and we're now seeing that dream become a reality. SoftRAID XT combines advanced RAID modes, fast performance, monitoring, e-mail notification, and fast rebuild capabilities that only software RAID can deliver.
Monitoring + Notifications
SoftRAID XT lets you easily setup drive monitoring and e-mail notifications to keep you informed about your ThunderBay's performance and drive health. Helping you to maintain mission critical workflows.
Better than Hardware RAID Performance
ThunderBay 4 and the SoftRAID engine offers faster performance than many competing 4 or even 5-bay hardware RAID external drives – benefiting from modern processors that are both fast and designed for exceptionally high-performance RAID management with no real-world impact on apps or tasks.
Flexible + Robust
SoftRAID XT is extremely flexible and can easily be updated, reconfigured and used across multiple enclosures to provide an amazing amount of robust options to empower you to make the most of your ThunderBay workflow.
Empower your workflow with RAID 5 performance.
Edit, view, stream, and produce more with ThunderBay in your 2K, 4K, and audio production workflow.
The RAID 5 Advantage
RAID 5 merges the four drives inside ThunderBay together for exponential performance gains over a single drive, the combined capacity of three of the drives, and data redundancy that allows the array to still work even if one drive were to fail!
Edit, Experiment, Create, Design
With ThunderBay's performance capabilities you can complete projects faster, have more time to experiment, and push your creations to the next level.
Enhance editing capabilities in video apps like Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, and Avid Media Composer. Empower greater audio production capabilities in audio apps like Avid Pro Tools and Logic Pro X. Edit large photos in apps like Adobe Photoshop, and browse large photo libraries in apps like Apple Aperture and Adobe Lightroom. Simply put, you can do more with a ThunderBay 4 enhanced workflow, and with a RAID 5 array you get data redundancy on top of great performance!
Four drive bays – plus so much more.
Built on OWC's time-tested enclosure cooling technology, ThunderBay utilizes an open "flow-thru" vented design with an oversized 92 mm, low-turbulence, noise-quieting fan to keep the drives running cool and reliably.
Daisy-chain up to six ThunderBays for massive storage capabilities and increased performance, or connect multiple ThunderBays to multiple Thunderbolt 2 ports to achieve exponential speed capabilities.
ThunderBay's drive isolating design reduces sonic resonance, and is aided by over-sized, rugged, vibration-absorbing, non-skid feet.
DisplayPort 1.2 Support
Dual Thunderbolt ports let you connect the display of your choice that your computer can support, including 4K displays.
OWC Thunderbolt Cable
ThunderBay comes with an OWC one-meter certified Thunderbolt cable, with other lengths from 0.5 meter to 3 meters available separately.
- OWC ThunderBay 4 High-performance 4-bay Thunderbolt 2 interface drive
- SoftRAID XT
- High-Quality, Certified, Double-Shielded 1-Meter Thunderbolt cable
- EU power cable
- 2 keys for front panel lock
- User guide
- SoftRAID XT Quick Start Guide
- 2 Year Warranty
- Four 3.5" SATA hard drives
- Four 2.5" SATA hard drives or SSDs
JBOD / RAID Support
- JBOD: Utilize each of the four drives independently
- RAID: Use the included software RAID or one of your choice to setup the ThunderBay 4 for multi-drive performance or data redundancy.
- SoftRAID 5 Support Page
- Thunderbolt – (2) Thunderbolt 2 ports
Max Data Transfer Rate
- It can be used as a Thunderbolt startup drive on Macs running Mac OS X.
- Any Mac with a Thunderbolt port running OS X 10.9 or later.
- Boot Camp is not supported. The Thunderbolt certification process does not include Macs running Windows through Boot Camp.
- SoftRAID 5 for ThunderBay
- Intech® Hard Disk SpeedTools Utilities™ OEM (For Mac OS 8.6 – X only)
- ProSoft Engineering® Data Backup for Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
- Over 1.5GB of Freeware, Shareware, Public domain software installed
External Case Dimensions
- 9.65?(D) x 5.31?(W) x 6.96?(H)
- 245.11mm x 134.87mm x 176.78mm
Enclosure Weight (no accessories)
- Approximately 8.6 pounds (3.9kg)